Monday, January 23, 2012

Why is there tents?


 On September 17, 2011 there was a movement to bring out a statement, for America to wake up and listen. How these major corporations get these large cuts from the government yet where is this money coming from? How these corporations get help but you don’t see them help back, yet that money could have been used to help lower the unemployment rate. Aren't we broke? Every time I drive down my neighborhood I see these houses abandoned or foreclosed. Remember a large pay off that was given to a corporation that left millions without a home? Every year around the holidays I always go to Washington DC with my friends to give food to the homeless. No I don’t go to the shelters but to this park, and on my way I passed by these tents. I completely forgot that there were people STILL protesting. It was mid-December; I honestly didn't sit there and pay much attention until that day. I knew why, but well I never really followed it. Ironically I don’t see much on the news about this movement as you would think there would be and if there was it was on a negative aspect of it. It originally started in New York in the Liberty Square which spread across the nation. A Movement called Occupy Wall Street, and it’s amazing to see how this movement grew in social media as well. When you think of protesters you picture these liberals with signs, you know your typical hippies. Yet looking at these web sites that follow the protest like Occupy DC or Fightback news makes you realize how many are affected and that their one of us.

2 comments:

  1. I like that you're making connections between the Occupy movement and what's happening in your neighborhoods. Now tighten with even more specifics: which corporations are you talking about? Tax law, or the bank bailout, which had so much to do with banks/mortgage companies gambling on bad mortgages (and then we bail them out?). What does this mean to a voter?

    Watch the format/font size for consistency...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And check out the subject/verb agreement in your title...

    ReplyDelete